“I might as well be wearing a red shirt.”
From “100 Quotes Every Geek Should Know,” via Wired News.
Some but by no means all of my favorites:
6. “If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid.” — Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation “Q Who?”
31. “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side, kid.” -Han Solo, Star Wars
58. “So say we all.” – Battlestar Galactica
60. “I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.” – Wash, Serenity
77. “Klaatu barada nikto.” The Day the Earth Stood Still (Dana sez, Did you know there is a town in Ireland called Gort? Impossible to drive through it without rolling down the window, sticking your head out and yelling, “Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!” Don’t ask me how I know.)
My favorite geekline not included: “I might as well be wearing a red shirt!” – some guy on some episode of Stargate SG-1.
Dana View All →
Author and founder of Storyknife.org.
I always loved that Sam Raimi reused “Klaatu brada nikto” in “Armies of Darkness”.
Thanks for this post. Great first cup of coffee reading.
I saw a commercial for a new TV show and told my niece, “hey, that women used to be a Cylon”. She has no idea… Kids these days! ha ha ha
A fun read! Among my favorites…
#5 “With great power there must also come — great responsibility.” Spiderman
#22 The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune
Some of them missed the mark for me for quotes from the same movie. I’d have chosen the land war in Asia quote over the Sicilian, for instance, in The Princess Bride. And where’s “May the Force be with you?” I’m not sure it trumps “I’m sorry, Dave”, but “My mind is going. I can feel it.” stuck with me more powerfully.
Star Trek IV: “Everybody remember where we parked?” and “Cap’n, there be whales here!”
Back to the Future: “Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.”
Short Circuit: “Number Five is alive!”
Star Trek II: “The needs of the many outweigh … the needs of the few… Or the one.”
I definitely agree with you about the Star Trek quotes. I still crack up thinking about the parking quote. And the other one is so emotionally powerful.
Star Wars; ObiWan Kenobi: “Mos Eisley spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” Every one of my sons will recite this correctly given the opportunity. Sometimes substituting the location if appropriate.
And who is the toughest guy on Star Trek? Scotty … The only red shirt who didn’t get killed. Think about it.