So, last Tuesday I posted ten Kate trivia questions and invited everyone to answer them. Winners would take home one of these:
Here are the questions again, this time with their answers:
1. Who is nature’s optimist?
Answer: An arsonist, according to Morris “Max” Maxwell in A Taint in the Blood.
2. Who does Mac Devlin hit on after Bobby’s interview with Anne Gordaoff?
Answer: Jack’s ex-wife Jane Morgan, in The Singing of the Dead.
3. Who was Camp Teddy named for?
Answer: Theodore Roosevelt, by Ruthe and Dina in A Fine and Bitter Snow.
4. What is Kate’s first gift from Jim?
Answer: A copy of Robert’s Rules of Order (A Night Too Dark).
5. How was Ray Chevak related to Kate Shugak?
Answer: He was Emaa’s lover, as discovered by Kate in Midnight Come Again.
6. How many Class C state championships have the Kanuyaq Kings’ mens’ basketball team won?
Answer: Three (A Deeper Sleep).
7. How did an FBI agent get on board the Alexei Kosygin in Petropavlovsk?
Answer: Bribed the watch with a couple of bottles of vodka (Restless in the Grave).
8. Who nailed one hell of a shingle?
Answer: Len Dreyer, according to Bobby in A Grave Denied.
9. How does Kate manage to pull out in the bumper-to-bumper traffic at Lake Otis and Tudor?
Answer: She makes a driver stall out his pickup by yanking up her T-shirt (Though Not Dead).
10. In which Olympic sport did Talia Macleod compete?
Answer: The biathlon (Whisper to the Blood).
Historical footnote: Last year I was assailed for making the trivia questions too easy. This year I evidently made them too hard because we were underwhelmed with players. You people are sure hard to give things away to. I think I’ll just go back to closing my eyes and pointing at the subscriber list for the Roadhouse Report, and if you aren’t already subscribed…
Our five players get a mug just for showing up:
Toni Tidwell, Griffin, Georgia
Jacqueline Hulse, Murphy, North Carolina
Peggy Belew, Walton, Kentucky
Ginger Hipszky, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Tanja Vaughn, Glendale, Arizona
Laura at Minotaur will be getting in touch for addresses to which to send your mugs. Let us know how you like the mugs! Send photographs! I’ve got one on order myself. [Update on 1/17: I’m drinking my morning coffee out of mine nowadays.]
Autographed copies from the Poisoned Pen.
on Barnes and Noble.
Author and founder of Storyknife.org.